|Safety Information on the Internet
on the Network
I. What is Networking?
- Developing connections with people in similar professional situations
- Finding out who the experts are
- For safety people, networking is both a social and a technical need
- Professional development: Learning directly from (and helping out) other people
- Getting your name in lights
- Celebrate (or commiserate) with others in similar circumstances.
- Selecting groups to join
- Styles of participation
- General rules for life on the Net
- Specific rules for specific groups are found in Welcome files, FAQ's etc.
Rock Eater news service, moderated by Phil Agre,
contains useful information about the evolving culture
of the Internet. Specifically, Agre has written an article called
on the Net" describing specific considerations involved in
the professional networking process. The URL is http://communication.ucsd.edu/pagre/rre.html
- 2650 subscribers - academia, industry, government, military
- up to 50 messages/day - usually quieter on weekends and around holidays
- Typical discussion items: regulatory interpretation; safety management issues;
chemical safety discussions
- To subscribe, send
SUB SAFETY your name